Direct Supervisor: RFS Registration Director
Job Position Summary
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to review production process engineering of low-carbon fuel facilities and lead verification teams who will validate and verify fuel pathway claims under various low-carbon fuel regulations. This position will play an active role in developing requirements, procedures, and activities related to third party engineering reviews and site visits required under the EPA’s Renewable Fuel Standard. The Senior Engineer will manage verification activities and ensure compliance with EPA’s Renewable Fuel Standard, California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard, Oregon’s Clean Fuel Program, and the upcoming Canadian Clean Fuel Standard.
The Senior Engineer will interact with and support EcoEngineers’ Audit Division. This division performs compliance auditing and onsite engineering reviews for the EPA’s Renewable Fuel Standard and California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard, including the following fuel types: biogas, ethanol, biodiesel, and renewable diesel.
- Maintain Professional Engineer (PE) license in all states where EcoEngineers provides site audit services.
- Have a thorough understanding of the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS2) as well as technical expertise and industry knowledge of low-carbon fuel production and facility design.
- Assist in coordinating EcoEngineers’ onsite audit and engineering review processes by managing communications with clients, writing technical reports, conducting site visits, and coordinating team activities.
- Identify, investigate, and respond to client non-conformance questions and issues.
- Research regulations and interact with regulators when necessary.
- Develop protocols, and train audit team members regarding process engineering compliance.
- Enhance assessment effectiveness and quality through exploring and evaluating new methods, improving project management, controlling document sampling and record-keeping, and gaining deeper industry insights.
- Stay current on emerging trends in process engineering, especially those related to the renewable energy industry.
- Professional Engineer license and experience as process engineer in a low-carbon fuel production setting.
- Knowledge of relevant state, federal, and international low-carbon fuel regulations.
- Understand the basics of low-carbon fuel production processes for multiple renewable fuel types.
- Manage complex information and develop simplifying assumptions when needed. Summarize or present complex information in verbal and written format so that it is understandable to a non-technical audience.
- Strong computer skills related to data manipulation and analysis. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and other data analysis software. Advanced skill in Excel (perform advanced equations, graphing, learn new functions quickly), and other data analysis software.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think critically through systems and processes
- Effective written/verbal communication
- Ability to recognize when to ask for help and identify appropriate resources to accomplish tasks as needed
- Ability to multi-task, maintain flexibility, and work independently.
- Some business travel is required (approx. 50%)
Preferred location: Des Moines Iowa (preferred), or remote from anywhere in the U.S. for the right candidate
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience
Contact Information: Nathan Schneider, RFS Registration Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carbon is the biggest disruptor of the 21st century and over the next few decades. the world will transition to new ways of extracting, storing and using energy – processes that are more sustainable than those currently in practice. We believe a right mix of policy and practice can make this transition easier on affected sectors and align robust economic activity with carbon reduction. We are the catalysts that advise, shape and guide policy and practice to make this happen.
EcoEngineers delivers clean energy supply and use across multiple industry sectors with our systematic, proven 360° approach. We hold a deep understanding of what drives innovation and investment in clean energy projects, and our team of experts can guide you through the project development process from concept to commissioning. Our 360° project approach has evolved through hard-earned experience and unites our talented team with our core strengths — training and education, regulatory engagement, life-cycle analysis, asset development consulting, compliance management, and audit.
We consider our team of employees to be the most valuable resource for achieving our goals. Our people are the ambassadors of our brand. The trust they build with clients is the foundation of our success. EcoEngineers strives to provide a work environment based on trust, transparency, open communication, and mutual respect. Our headquarters is in downtown Des Moines. Core office hours are from 8 am to 5pm with a liberal flex time policy.
EcoEngineers is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified or qualifiable applicants will be employed without regard to race, religion, color, age, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.