Voluntary Market Carbon Consultant
Direct Supervisor: Senior Carbon Consultant, VP Operations
Job Position Summary:
EcoEngineers is seeking a Carbon Consultant to work primarily within our consulting team focusing on our voluntary carbon market work. The ideal candidate will help scale EcoEngineers’ growing voluntary carbon markets consulting practice and can utilize your expertise and creativity in the development of offset and emission reductions projects in categories as diverse as ethanol-based carbon capture and sequestration (CCS), renewable energy, and avoided deforestation. The role will be centered around evaluating potential GHG projects for integrity and adherence to industry standards, establishing pathways to voluntary marketplaces, and liaising with major industrial, agricultural, and nature-based project developers to characterize and implement opportunities for significant environmental improvement.
This role is an excellent opportunity for both early and mid-career professionals to take a deep dive into exponentially growing world of voluntary carbon markets, learning the fundamentals of project finance, emission reduction forecasting, monitoring, reporting, verification, and the ultimate registration of credits. In addition, you will gain exposure to LCFS, RFS, RNG, asset development, life cycle analysis, emissions reporting, auditing, and regulatory programs. Initial project work will be focused on technical advising services for a well-funded carbon streaming platform with a pipeline of REDD+/ VERRA grasslands and forestry projects. We will train the right candidate with a strong academic or professional background in carbon accounting, verification, and consulting.
- Exposure to GHG accounting experience with GHG accounting, verification, project development, or GHG inventory development in one or more of the following programs:
- Carbon Offsets: California ARB, British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, American Carbon Registry, Climate Action Reserve, Verified Carbon Standard, Cercarbono, CDM, EU ETS, CSA, ICR, Gold Standard
- GHG Reporting: California ARB, British Columbia MRR, Alberta, Ontario MRR, Canada OBPS, The Climate Registry, Airport Carbon Accreditation, CORSIA, Mexico RENE, EPA MRR, GHG Protocol, CDP
- Ability to perform audits, data analysis, complex calculations, understand regulations and standards, and draft technical reports
- Possess excellent organizational skills related to time management, client interaction, and project management, with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Advanced skills in standard software packages including MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint, R, etc
- B.S. in relevant Engineering or Science subject, preferably with coursework in carbon management, carbon finance, or carbon accounting.
- Three (3) years of GHG accounting experience.
- Knowledge and experience with sustainability reporting : GRI G4 Reporting, ESG Reporting (TCFD, GRI, SASB, DJSI, CDP), California LCFS
- Offset project development experience in forestry, soil carbon, oil & gas, renewables, waste
- Graduate level degree in Engineering or Science with focus in carbon management, carbon finance, or carbon accounting.
- Experience with the AFOLU sector (forestry, land use change, soil, cropland, grassland)
- Experience with a diversity of industries
- Experience with sustainability/carbon advisory
- Experience with carbon footprint/ LCA of products, supply chains, carbon neutrality, net zero, carbon intensity metrics
- Existing client relationships
Location: Des Moines, IA (preferred) but EcoEngineers has approximately 20 remote employees and remote candidates will be considered.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience
Contact Information: Brad Pleima, President, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carbon is the biggest disruptor of the 21st century. Over the next few decades, the world will transition to new and more sustainable methods of extracting, storing, and using energy. EcoEngineers believes the right mix of policy and practice will achieve carbon reduction goals while incenting robust economic activity and easing the transition for affected industries. We are the catalysts who will make this happen by advising, shaping, and guiding both policy and practices to create a clean energy economy.
EcoEngineers is a global leader in developing solutions to build a sustainable world. We achieve this by helping to create a world fueled by low-carbon energy sources. We hold a deep understanding of what drives innovation and investment in clean energy projects, and our team of experts specialize in training and education, regulatory engagement, life-cycle analysis, asset development consulting, compliance management, and auditing.
At EcoEngineers, our people are the ambassadors of our brand and our most valuable asset. They advance our mission through their direct contributions of expertise, innovation, and integrity, and the trust they build with clients is the foundation of our success. EcoEngineers strives to provide a work environment based on trust, transparency, open communication, and mutual respect. Our office is in downtown Des Moines. Core office hours are from 8 am to 5pm with a liberal flex-time policy.
EcoEngineers is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified or qualifiable applicants will be employed without regard to race, religion, color, age, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.