Services Director – Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)
Team: Consulting and Sales
Direct Supervisor(s): VP Sales, VP Operations
Job Position Summary:
EcoEngineers is seeking a strong Service Director for ESG. The successful candidate will have a wide network, deep expertise and 10+ years’ experience in corporate sustainability and social responsibility – who can develop/implement ESG strategies and disclosure frameworks and help companies evolve in the space of sustainability and ESG. A strong grasp of low carbon regulations, markets and project economics is a plus. Des Moines, Houston, or remote locations.
He/She will work with EcoEngineers internal teams, assess client needs, and coordinate the offering and delivery of EcoEngineers’ 360° services (see below) to the regulated and voluntary ESG markets. This person will represent EcoEngineers at ESG industry association events and will guide the EcoEngineers team on key strategies to address the specific needs of the ESG market. Key objectives of this role include:
- Secure major new business and manage existing strategic accounts in ESG.
- Suggest/lead new product development through market analysis and industry knowledge.
- Provide market information to internal teams on current trends, sales techniques, and strategies for application of EcoEngineers’ services in regulated and voluntary ESG markets.
- Develop and implement national sales account strategy to meet company objectives.
The ESG Service Director is the principal conduit of EcoEngineers services to the ESG sector. The right individual will act as the subject matter expert for ESG regulations and carbon markets and mobilize EcoEngineers teams to deliver its core services; this will involve project team management as well as ensuring the quality of and timely delivery of services. The ESG Service Director will also manage and grow the EcoEngineers brand within the ESG sector; manage critical and strategic accounts; and lead the sales team in their approach to sell services to ESG. This role is ultimately responsible for the overall sales to the ESG sector and will act as lead account/project manager for special projects within the Service Area.
- Responsible for overall implementation of Service Area Lines of Business/Program
- Setting client expectations – overseeing the client onboarding process to make sure service boundaries are being clearly articulated
- Strategic analysis of profit/loss of specific projects for Service Area including time and expenses. Identifies areas of improvement and creates plan to implement
- Oversee billing, contract management
- Assists Sales Manager, Consulting Manager, and Audit Manager in developing and implementing retention and cross-selling plan for Service Area
- Responsible for ensuring the integrity of the Service Area, including meeting all applicable Regulatory compliance requirements and customer satisfaction, including:
- Having a high-level understanding of all relevant regulations and how they interplay.
- Deep understanding of service area roles – could step-in and perform functions, if needed
- Help in liaising with regulators and non-governmental bodies (e.g., SEC, IRS, EPA, CARB, TCFD, WRI, CDP, TCR etc.) and maintaining/cultivating a positive relationship with organizations as needed
Maintain positive Client Relationships – including, feedback loop to ensure customer satisfaction, travel to key clients, development of new products/services as indicated by clients
Coordination with Consulting Manager and Consulting Team members to effectively deliver work products on time and on budget.
QAQC reviews of work under the ESG Service Area.
- Takes necessary steps to grow Service Area and make operationally efficient, including:
- Thought leadership, webinar presentations, conference attendance, conference speaking, and other industry-facing activities to keep EcoEngineers at the forefront of ESG issues across various sectors.
- Recommend and implement systems improvement: create, collaborate, and update internal processes; including software efficiencies, strategic staffing arrangements (e.g. use of data analysts and contract workers), training and communication of updates to team – as related to programs overseen
- Training & Development of junior consultants and account managers, including: recruiting, interviewing, negotiating, hiring, training, goal setting, regular feedback, performance evaluations,
- Lead weekly or bi-weekly internal meetings to ensure projects are on-track and goals are being met
- Contributes to new product development in area of expertise.
- 10+ cumulative years in business development with emphasis on carbon offset and ESG regulation and market framework
- Working knowledge of GHG accounting standards and application of those standards to corporate inventories
- Ability and history with drafting climate action plans, SBTi and Paris-aligned emissions plans
- Experience with selling and performing consulting services is required
- A track record of leading and inspiring high-performing teams as well as the ability to create a strategic vision and translate it into profitable projects is required
- Proven knowledge or aptitude and desire to develop knowledge of the ESG markets including Verra, Gold Standard, Climate Action Reserve, American Carbon Registry and associated voluntary/compliance offset markets; green building markets with USGBC; sustainability reporting with CDP, SASB, TCFD, TCR, etc..
- Knowledge of different types of low-carbon fuels and federal, state, and international low-carbon fuel regulations
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and the ability to distill complex technical and regulatory information into simple, concise language. Proven ability to manage complex information and data sets, make simplifying assumptions when needed, and convey findings in easily understood ways.
- Ability to deliver presentations and write thought leadership articles
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and deliver clear, concise reports
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills and willingness to represent EcoEngineers at ESG Service Area industry events
- Sales experience including account management, needs assessment, developing scopes of service, preparation of proposals and closing on sales
- Strong computer skills relevant for data manipulation and analysis. Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite software, specifically advanced level Excel (ability to perform advanced equations, graph, learn new functions quickly), and other data analysis software
- Attention to detail and ability to think critically through systems and processes
- Ability to ask for help, multi-task, maintain flexibility, travel, and work independently.
- Some travel is required to support a wide array of projects and clients
Location: Des Moines, IA; Houston, Texas; Open to remote
Compensation: Base Salary commensurate with experience. Qualified for up to 10% revenue sales commissions.
Contact Information: Jim Ramm, PE, VP Sales, email@example.com
Carbon is the biggest disruptor of the 21st century. Over the next few decades, the world will transition to new and more sustainable methods of extracting, storing, and using energy. EcoEngineers believes the right mix of policy and practice will achieve carbon reduction goals while incenting robust economic activity and easing the transition for affected industries. We are the catalysts who will make this happen by advising, shaping, and guiding both policy and practices to create a clean energy economy.
EcoEngineers is a global leader in developing solutions to build a sustainable world. We achieve this by helping to create a world fueled by low-carbon energy sources. We hold a deep understanding of what drives innovation and investment in clean energy projects, and our team of experts specialize in training and education, regulatory engagement, life-cycle analysis, asset development consulting, compliance management and auditing.
At EcoEngineers, our people are the ambassadors of our brand and our most valuable asset. They advance our mission through their direct contributions of expertise, innovation, and integrity, and the trust they build with clients is the foundation of our success. EcoEngineers strives to provide a work environment based on trust, transparency, open communication, and mutual respect. Our office is located in downtown Des Moines. Core office hours are from 8 am to 5pm with a liberal flex-time policy.
EcoEngineers is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified or qualifiable applicants will be employed without regard to race, religion, color, age, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.